Walden University Introduces New Online MBA Program in Response to Needs Discovered in Survey
Walden University’s online Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, which begins in December 2001, was designed in accordance with a recent study sponsored by Walden that polled 365 individuals online.
Among the respondents, many cite convenience and flexibility as the two reasons for considering online learning. The survey also found that many participants see online MBA degree programs as a way of advancing in today’s job market. Walden introduced this program as part of a continuing effort to address the educational needs of today’s professionals who want to advance their careers conveniently and businesses that want cost-effective ways to develop their workforce.
“What’s really unique about the findings is that prospective students are not only recognizing the value of online graduate level programs in terms of their quality, convenience, and flexibility, but also in terms of being a differentiating factor in technology driven employment markets,” said Dr. Kent Morrison, President of Walden University, the pioneer in graduate distance education.
With these key factors in mind, Walden developed an MBA program that offers maximum flexibility and nine specializations that can advance students in a number of different fields; specifically, finance, marketing, human resource management, global business, e-business, knowledge management, learning management, health services management, or management of technology.
The student-centered, instructor-mentored program features six-week courses to help individuals move quickly through the program. In less than two years, students will receive an MBA that will allow them to achieve personal and career goals within their specific occupations.
“Our unique MBA program gives individuals advanced skills and credentials and allows them to contribute directly to the success of businesses and institutions,” said Dr. John Vinton, chairman of the management division at Walden.
Other benefits of the rigorous, fast-paced program include:
- Customization — The program can be tailored to the specific needs of businesses and individuals. Students may specialize in one or more fields, such as e-business or knowledge management, to address and solve critical challenges facing their organizations — today.
- Flexibility — Schedules can be built around a corporation’s business calendar to help meet corporate goals. As participants in an on-line program, students complete assignments and participate in asynchronous group activities based on their schedules, allowing them to balance work and education.
- Immediacy — The program provides students with the knowledge they need to immediately address and solve pressing business issues.
- International scope — A global perspective prepares participants in the program to think strategically about international business issues.
- Current — Course material is focused on the latest business concepts and case studies and is taught by academically qualified faculty who are leading experts in applying these concepts.
- Group discounts — Groups of five or more from the same organization get a discount on tuition.
- Articulation to other programs — Courses in the health services management specialization program can also be applied in partial fulfillment of degree requirements in Walden’s new MS in Public Health degree. Students who want to continue education beyond the master’s level may apply a portion of the credits earned in the completed online MBA program in partial fulfillment of degree requirements for Walden’s distance learning Ph.D. in Applied Management and Decision Sciences.
The introduction of Walden’s online MBA program follows the survey’s indication that the number of young professionals interested in pursuing online MBAs is growing rapidly. While one out of 20 adults (5%) in the general online population said they were likely to begin an MBA in the next two years, about one in four (26%), who are likely to begin an MBA in the next two years, are likely to take it online.
For more information on Walden’s new MBA program and other programs, visit their Web site at www.waldenu.edu or contact an enrollment counselor at 866/4WALDEN.
About Walden University
Founded in 1970, Walden University provides high-quality graduate and doctoral education in business, education, public health, and the social and behavioral sciences. Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Walden has graduated thousands of students from all 50 states and more than 30 countries. Walden also provides non-degree, online certificate programs in professional development.