New Iomega Quiksync™ 3 Software Provides Automatic On-The-Fly Backup To Virtually Any Drive
ROY, Utah – Iomega Corporation (NYSE:IOM), a global leader in data management solutions, today announced Iomega QuikSyncTM 3, the latest and most powerful version of the company’s automatic backup software and the first version to work with storage drives not manufactured by Iomega.
QuikSyncTM 3 software protects users from data loss caused by disasters such as viruses, power outages, computer crashes and accidental deletion. Files saved to specified folders on a local hard drive or mapped network drive are automatically copied to a separate drive designated as the “sync location.” Possible sync locations include third-party read/write network drives, hard drives, or removable storage drives as well as Iomega’s industry-leading Zip® drives and other Iomega drives. QuikSync 3 software also includes tools to help IT professionals easily implement automatic backup throughout their network.
QuikSync™ software addresses a growing need in the marketplace. Nearly one in four U.S. computer users have lost content due to hackers, viruses, blackouts or electrical failure, and roughly two-thirds of computer users fear data loss to viruses or hackers, according to a recent national survey conducted for Iomega Corporation.
“Not only does QuikSync™ 3 provide peace of mind and eliminate the hassles associated with backing up important content, but it also now works with virtually any manufacturer’s drive,” said Germaine Ward, senior vice president software solutions and e-business, Iomega Corporation. “Digital pictures, work presentations and other important files are never truly protected until a copy is saved away from the computer. QuikSync™ 3 allows users to regularly put an up-to-date archive on the shelf where no virus, hacker or power outage can attack.”
The PC version of Iomega’s QuikSync™ 3 software is expected to be available March 2 for purchase at www.iomega.com, for $19.95 (U.S.), and it is expected to be available at retail outlets and through distributors in the United States by mid-March. A Macintosh® version is planned for later this year.
QuikSync 3 Features and Benefits:
- Easy Setup – A “wizard” leads users through a simple setup process. Users do not need to interact with Iomega QuikSyncTM 3 software unless their backup location is full or they want to change settings.
- Automatic Copy – Any files saved to designated folders are automatically copied to the sync location.
- Multiple Folders – Users can select multiple folders from their hard drive or mapped network drive for QuikSync 3 to monitor. Files automatically copied to the sync location retain their original name to make finding files easy.
* Multiple File Revisions – Users can choose to save multiple revisions of files instead of overwriting files previously copied to the sync location.
- User Controlled Preferences – QuikSync 3 allows scheduled backup times and other user preferences.
- Filtering By File Type – QuikSync 3 can exclude specified file types when syncing files. For example, the software can exclude all temporary (.TMP) files.
- Easy File Recovery – Restoring files is as simple as accessing the designated sync location and dragging the files to the preferred location on the desktop. No decompression is required and no backup application has to be run.
- Enterprise Implementation – IT administrators can install QuikSync™ 3 automatic backup software throughout a network from a central location.
Iomega began selling QuikSync™ software in June of 2000. Since that time, several corporate and government organizations have made volume purchases. IBM has also purchased a license to include QuikSync™ software with the IBM Microdrive™.
Iomega Corporation (NYSE:IOM) manufactures and markets the award-winning Zip®, Jaz® and PocketZip® drives and disks, the HipZip™ digital audio player, the FotoShow™ digital image center, LifeWorks™ software, and Iomega QuikSync™ software; Iomega also markets Iomega CD-RW drives and Iomega Microdrive™. Iomega’s products help people to save, share, manage and create important information such as Internet downloads, audio files, personal photographs, spreadsheets, and slides, while protecting that content from viruses and hackers. Used in homes, businesses, government and educational facilities and by creative professionals everywhere, Iomega storage solutions are the enabling technologies preferred by millions. The Company can be reached at 1-888-4-IOMEGA (888-446-6342), or on the Web at http://www.iomega.com.
NOTE: The statements contained in this release regarding development, production and distribution of the QuikSync software, anticipated product pricing and availability, expected product performance and specifications, future applications for the new product and all other statements that are not purely historical, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All such forward-looking statements are based upon information available to Iomega as of the date hereof, and Iomega disclaims any intention or obligation to update any such forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ materially from current expectations. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, the successful completion of product development and testing, market acceptance of, and demand for, back-up software, any difficulties encountered in ramping up production or other manufacturing issues, including component availability and pricing, co-development, production, and distribution issues, product pricing and conformity to specifications, dependence upon third party suppliers, competition, continued success of OEM partnerships, intellectual property rights and other risks and uncertainties identified in the reports filed from time to time by Iomega with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission , including Iomega’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 1999, and its most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q.